Thursday, January 27, 2011

Tasty FO: Homemade Pancakes! Aka, giving Aunt Jemima the Boot!

Everyone here loves pancakes (except me, but I like that they are fast, easy and universally accepted here). So, when I offered pancakes the other night everyone accepted with enthusiasm. So I went to the cabinet, pulled out the trusty box of pancake mix....and found that there was about a tablespoon left. Not good!

In the pan, looks good so far!
Pancakes are fast and easy to make--just add water! But no mix=grumpy hungry family. For some reason, it finally occurred to me to make my own. Isn't it strange--I am sure that mixes like this came about to help busy moms do things more quickly--but 2 generations later and it doesn't occur to me that you can actually make pancakes without a mix! Off to the cookbooks to find a recipe...

I ended up combining two from different books, because I didn't have some of the ingredients.Franken-pancakes turned out great, though.
I've made these twice since then and tweaked the recipe, which I am now declaring fool-proof!


Pour, Flip and Serve!
Franken-pancakes:
1 1/4 cup flour
1/8 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder

Combine these in a big bowl, then dump in:
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 tbsp. vegetable oil

Whisk them all together and then cook in plenty of butter on a hot skillet. Give to howly family. Enjoy the silence and the smiles!

These actually turned out much better than any mix--very light and fluffy, I am guessing that's from the egg and baking soda. Since we go through a box of pancake mix a month, this is a fast, easy and cheap replacement, so we're kicking Hungry Jack and Aunt Jemima to the curb!

Mmmm...pancakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment