Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Giant Granny Square Afghan


Sharing a photo of the world's largest granny square -- I have a ton of cute, scrappy granny patterns saved in my ravelry queue, but I am lazy and made a single great big square instead.
If you can double crochet, you can make a huge granny, too!

I used a lovely yarn from Noro, Iro; this is one of those cool kettle dyed yarns that gradually shifts from one color to another--so I got a great striped effect without having to change colors (or weave in all those nasty little thread ends. It's also made from wool (75%) and silk (25%) so it should be nice and warm. You can see a pretty pic of the yarn I used on the Waldorf mama blog--she's used the same color for a pretty little dress.


I was totally optimistic when I started this (and obviously have no ability to estimate yardage at all), so I bought three skeins and got to work. The first lasted a good long time (this project starts in the middle and grows, so each round eats up a little more yarn). #2 lasted a good long time too, so I was feeling very proud of my awesome estimation skills...until I attached skein #3. Which got eaten in just 8 rounds of the blanket (which was then about 24 inches across, not really a blanket at all).

Back to the yarn store. Do I need to add that these are $15 per skein...so the "cute, quick little blanket" is rapidly becoming the "kind of costly blanket"...

Just to be safe, I picked up skein #4 and #5 (my LYS officially loves me and my poor math skills). I am sure you are much more clever than I am at this point, because I really thought this would be enough--not only enough, but that there would be copious amounts left over for the chunky tassels I was planning for each corner....

Not exactly. Skeins #6 and 7 (yep, back to the store, who had thankfully put aside the remaining skeins in my dyelot, "just in case"). They ran out, so I bought 4 more skeins from Webs (at just $10 a skein, yay!).

Behold, the finished yarn eating granny in all of her glory:

This project has been dubbed the "rainbow blankie" and has been stolen by my 4yo for her bed...

If you want more colorful crochet, check out Lucy's work at Attic 24; you'll find pretty ripples, grannies and more.

6 comments:

  1. Whoah! That is seriously gorgeous!! What a fun project!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful piece of art! Projects always cost more than I thnk for me! I dont crotchet so this is just amazing to me! GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys, much appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous, it looks great! And i know exactly that problem, I bought 8 skeins of expensive yarn to make my boyfriend a scarf, and I just had to buy 6 more...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @GirlAnachronismE I just visited your blog and didn't see it...you'll have to post pix when you are done! ps.s what yarn are you using? It is hard to find "man friendly" yarn!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your scrap granny. I'm working on a double strand rectangle lapghan granny right now. I'm trying to use up different blue yarns I have scraps of. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete